Wednesday, February 18, 2015

SAC 6 SONGS IN 6 WEEKS…WEEK 1

SAC Challenge Week 1

So I have had an interesting week of songwriting. Some moments piecing together chord progressions seems impossible and other moments it comes easy as pie. Not sure where the saying easy as pie comes to as the last time I tried making a pie it didn’t feel easy lol…but anyways that’s besides the point. I always find songwriting to be an expression of the daily experiences in life. Some moments are easy others feel somewhat impossible but you just keep trying new things and eventually get it right.

I joined this songwriting challenge because I wanted to be challenged beyond my own expectations I put on myself.  I figured it would help open some doors and windows in my mind that may have been sitting closed for a while or perhaps never even been open yet! I find songwriting to unleash so much in me as a person, the emotions we hold on to the words we sometimes can not say and the dreams we envision outside our own realities seem to be endless while writing.  This week I had a neat experience writing a song outside myself about a Grandmother first meeting her grandchild and then passing away, the story was so sad that I created I found myself sitting in tears trying to get the words out as I played the music on piano.  It blew me away the emotion it provoked in me, this story wasn’t even real it was just something I created from an idea Darren had presented to me to write about. I love that about writing it can take you to a completely different world to create an experience someone somewhere can relate to.


Now to the point of the week! The Matt Dusk challenge! We were given a cd from a friend of an artist she saw in December, she bought us a signed copy as she thought we would love the music.  We ended up sitting in on top of our cd player and as we do in life got busy and forgot to listen to it. Well to my surprise the artist was Matt Dusk so as soon as I saw the image of his cd when looking him up from the challenge, I ran to listen to the cd that had been sitting around the living room for months. I couldn’t believe how long it took me to get to listening to the album, it actually brought out a feeling of frustration that sometimes life can get so full of to do lists and work and  distractions that I put aside a beautiful gift and didn’t take time to pop it in the player sooner.  I think somewhere there is a song in that feeling alone, procrastination and distractions and forgetting about the fine things in life that bring us peace. I have played around with a few ideas for the Matt Dusk challenge, my writing style is quite pop and pulling out a power ballad is one of my fortes so I’m leaning towards writing something in the style of John Legend/Lana Del Ray. I am really happy we have until the 6th week to submit the song as the week got away on me and I want to put more effort and work into the challenge. This week has taught me to schedule the time to write, block it off just like I would block of a time slot to teach a music lesson.  I’m continuously working on time management and this is a great task to help me with organizing myself.

So here we go to the journey of week 2!

xo
-C!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whats your Favorite Elton John Song?